Beef Shoulder Stew/Ragu:
- First, peel the onions, garlic and all the root vegetables. Chop the onion quite finely, the root vegetables – coarsely, leave the garlic intact.
- Cut the meat into large (5–6 cm) pieces. Quickly fry the meat in ghee until golden brown on all sides.
- Fry the onion in ghee, 5 minutes in a large rooster or heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add all the other vegetables and fry over high heat for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with flour. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring often. Pour in 1.5 liters of water and stir to avoid lumps.
- As soon as it boils, add the meat. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Close the lid very tightly and simmer over low heat for 1.5-2 hours, until the meat is tender.
- If the gravy is thin, remove the vegetables and meat on a platter and evaporate the gravy to the desired consistency.
- Pour over the vegetables and serve, sprinkle with herbs.